Duration: 16 Hours
This module is developed to enable learners to acquire knowledge and skills in understanding of the key processes of systematic problem solving using the well-known “8 Disciplines” approach, which covers detailed root cause analysis, containment actions, corrective actions and preventive actions. The knowledge gained will enable learners to resolve the issues that they face in their workplace in a systematic approach.
On completion of this module, learners will be able to resolve issues and customer complaints using the systematic “8 Disciplines” problem solving approach and using the “8 Disciplines” format in the reporting of the issue with appropriate short term and long term solutions to rectify the issue.
The knowledge and skills covered in this module include:
- Identify team members and stakeholders resolve the technical problem
- Determine the technical problem with quantifiable terms
- Implement and verify interim containment actions
- Identify and verify root causes
- Choose and verify corrective actions
- Implement and validate permanent corrective actions
- Establish standardization to prevent re-occurrence
- The main components of “8 Disciplines” approach
- Basic definitions and process flow of the key components
- Basic application of the key components and some common root cause analysis tools
- Formatting of the “8 Disciplines” report
- Factors affecting the effectiveness of different corrective actions
- Implementation of controls/systems to sustain the solutions
Suitable for Engineers, Professionals, Managers and Executives (PMEs).
Participants are assumed to:
- Have an open mind;
- Be able to approach issues through team efforts;
- Have a basic knowledge of the Singapore Workplace Safety and Health requirements;
- Be able to listen, read and write English at a proficiency level equivalent to the Employability Skills System (ESS) level 6;
- Be able to manipulate numbers at a proficiency level equivalent to Employability Skills System (ESS) level 6.
Participants are required to bring their personal laptop for the work assignment.
This module is conducted in English.
This module is delivered through e-learning, lectures, group activities and demonstration.
The assessment is conducted through oral/written assessment, work assignment and presentation.
An individual who completes a module will be awarded a Statement of Attainment (SOA).