Duration: 18 Hours
Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) is the heart of all automated control systems. With a controlled application program in running, the PLC monitors the input status of the process and controls the output status based on a pre-determined requirement. The PLC is used to control a simple and repetitive task. It can also be connected to other controllers to control a more complex task.
This is a fundamental PLC training course designed for learners with no prior PLC programming experience to create a PLC program.
On completion of this course, learners will be able to write programs for simple PLC operations.
The knowledge and abilities covered in this course include:
- Introduction to PLC
- The design and operational characteristics of a PLC system
o System operational characteristics: – Modular, Unitary and Rack Mounted systems
o Characteristics: – Speed, Memory, Scan Time, Volatge and Current limits
o IO devices:- mechanical switches; non-mechanical digital sources; transducers; relays
o Interface requirements
o Communication standards:- RS-232, RS422, RS-485, Ethernet
o Internal architecture
o Types of programming languages
- PLC information and communication techniques
o Signal types:- analogue & digital
o Number systems:- binary; octal; hexadecimal; Binary-Coded Decimal (BCD)
o Allocation lists of inputs and outputs
o Communication techniques
o Network methods and standards
o Logic functions:- AND; OR; XOR;
o Associated elements:- contacts; coils; timers; counters; latches
- Programmable logic programming techniques
o Write programs:- use of ladder and logic diagrams; statement lists; boolean algebra; function diagrams
o Producing and storing text: contact labels; rung labels; programming lists; cross-referencing
o Test and debug programs: forcing inputs, forcing outputs; displayed error analysis
- Select appropriate control devices for the automated machine
- Integrate the logic control with the automated machine
- Write software program for the automated machine
- Test the controlled system in accordance to the user requirement
- Standardise the control program
Suitable for beginner who have zero knowledge on PLC programming.
Participants are assumed to:
- Have completed ‘O’ Level or equivalent; or
- Have the ability of:
- Basic knowledge of the Singapore Workplace Safety and Health requirements;
- Follow written and oral work instructions;
- Listen, read and write English at a proficiency level equivalent to the Employability Skills System (ESS) level 5;
- Manipulate numbers at a proficiency level equivalent to Employability Skills System (ESS) level 5.
This course is conducted in English.
This course is delivered through lectures, group activities and demonstration.
Practical assessment is conducted at the end of the course.
A Certificate of Proficiency will be awarded to trainees upon completing and passing the assessment. Otherwise, a Certificate of Participation will be issued to those who attained a minimum attendance of 75%..